Go for it! 8B Unit 2 Section A 3a
By the end of the class, Ss will be able to
1) topic-related language: learn to use useful phrases to describe volunteer job, such as “a strong feeling of satisfaction”, “try out for a volunteer”.
2) functional language: learn to use infinitives to talk about personal interest and plan for or feeling of volunteer job, such as “wants to be”, “how to care”, “do what I love to do”.
3) reading skills: predict according to introductory paragraph and pictures; infer word meanings in context.
learn to understand volunteer culture in foreign countries and be more active to participate in volunteer program at home.
1) logical thinking: make a contrast between two persons’ volunteer job and find out similarities and differences.
2) critical thinking: evaluate people’s behavior objectively and understand the meaning of volunteer job.
1) cognitive learning strategy: group information for easier learning by designing a chart.
2) communicative learning strategy: interact with other Ss actively and engage themselves in pair work and group work automatically.
Language focuses and anticipated difficulties
Understand the meaning of “a strong feeling of satisfaction”, “try out for a volunteer” and use infinitives to talk about personal interest and plan for or feeling of volunteer job.
How to make a contrast between two persons’ volunteer jobs and find out similarities and differences; how to evaluate people’s behavior objectively and understand the meaning of volunteer job.
T should adopt Task-based language teaching method and scaffolding instruction to stimulate and cultivate Ss’ interest and confidence in their learning.
clarify knowledge structure
facilitate teaching procedure
Activity 1 Free talk: share stories of helping others
T: Good morning, my dear class. It’s getting cold nowadays. Do you feel cold today?
T: Yesterday, I just received a piece of news from China Daily. Can you help me to read it aloud?
Intention: to create a situation for Ss to share their warm stories and lead in the topic naturally.
Activity 2: Prediction: predict the content of the article according to the introduction and pictures
Intention: to train Ss’ reading ability by predicting with the aids of pictures and introduction.
Activity 3(6mins): Fast-reading: identify the passage structure and match the main idea of each paragraph.
Intention: to guide Ss to have a general view about the article and erect the awareness of identifying the passage structure while reading
Activity 4(8mins): Mind-mapping: create a chart that can make comparison of two persons’ volunteer job
T: Great! Para2 and Para. 3 are both body paragraphs! Now, let’s read it again! While reading, find useful information to fill in the circles with your partner which should be like that on the blackboard! Here you go, try to find out all the differences and similarities.
Intention: to improve Ss’ logical thinking by having the awareness of contrasting and summarizing
Activity 5(6mins): Word inferring: guess word meanings according to the context
Intention: to guide Ss to guess the word meaning according to the clue in context, which will benefit their inferring ability
Activity 6(5mins): Pair work: discuss and evaluate volunteer jobs in pairs
Intention: to guide Ss to evaluate volunteer jobs objectively and independently by discussing the hot topic together
Activity 7(8mins+4mins): Group work: make an interview and create a volunteer program within groups
Intention: integrate their language ability to solve a real-life task
Compulsory: Get more familiar with the passage and try to retell it in your own words.
Optional: Carry out your own volunteer program this weekend and write your feelings down.